SLE Calendar

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

What is at the centre of God's heart?

During the Q&A slot at the Brisbane Leadership Training conference in August this year, the two conference speakers were asked the question: "What is at the centre of God's heart?". What struck me was that the two speakers replied with two different sounding responses. They sounded so different that I was wondering if there was any embarrassment felt on either of their parts.

Speaker #1 answered: "At the centre of God's heart is God filling His mansion". He was referring to John 14:2, where Jesus said:
In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?
Speaker #2 answered: "At the centre of God's heart is His love for His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ". As far as I could tell, he was referring to Jesus' prayer in John 17:24 -
Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world.
They sound like different answers to the same question, but after going away and thinking about it for a little while, I realised that God the Father's love for Jesus is achieved most fully by filling heaven (the mansion / house of John 14:2) with multitudes of people who never cease singing Jesus' praise. God the Father loves Jesus His Son, and because of this, God the Father wants many people to know and love Jesus too.

Revelation 5:9-13 shows us that what is on God's heart will be fulfilled in heaven:
And they sang a new song, saying,

"Worthy are you [Jesus] to take the scroll and to open its seals, for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation, and you have made them a kingdom and priests to our God, and they shall reign on the earth."

Then I looked, and I heard around the throne and the living creatures and the elders the voice of many angels, numbering myriads of myriads and thousands of thousands, saying with a loud voice, "Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing!" And I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea, and all that is in them, saying, "To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be blessing and honor and glory and might forever and ever!"

So what is at the centre of God's heart? It is Jesus, the King and Saviour, being worshipped by countless multitudes who see him as he truly is, and this will happen as they gather around him in heaven for eternity.

No comments: